Saturday, August 05, 2006

arrived in Yogya

August 5, 2006

Coming home to the land of many people and tons of motorcycles in the city of Yogyakarta, I feel like in the middle of mix feeling. A lot of changes in this city since I came here 3.5 years ago for a short visit.

CUSO orientation
Other cooperant (Gregory) and I were arrived in Yogyakarta on Tuesday August 1, 2006 with Garuda Indonesia from Jakarta. Thanks to mbak Nurrendah who help us a lot when we were arrived at Jakarta international airport. She help us to get the ticket from Jakarta to Yogyakarta, since we had ticket from Vancouver to Jakarta only. After a long-long flight her help just like and angel for us, and we do not know much and a lot of changes since I went home last time. There are so many Price, flight companies and facilities in Jakarta and Indonesia in general. And also for the future references, the luggage in domestic flight in Indonesia is only 20 kg per person; we should get charge the overweight, but Nurrendah help us to argue, that we were from international flight-and she is working for transportation department in Indonesia; so we did not have to pay for the overweight. Thanks mbak Nur.
Arrived in Yogyakarta, we had a rest a little then we went out for dinner with some people from CUSO office, kind of ‘informal’ orientation in the first night we were in Yogyakarta. The next day, we had an orientation wit our Country rep. and his assistant. In the last couple days we have an orientation in administrative and procedurals thing as a cuso cooperants. Did I mention that Gregory will go to Flores as well? Yes, he will go to east part of Flores Island and he will be doing work for an NGO there who works in the area of agricultural development and marketing. In Canada, he was worked in UBC farm
Friday we have plan to go to Bantul area to visit one cuso placement and there is one cooperant working with children there. Sunday, we have plan to go to Pundong sub district which is in Bantul area as well, we will visit some reconstruction project that has been funded by cuso and organized by a cuso volunteer, Hester. Cuso get some funds and working with local ngo to do a earthquake relief effort, and now in the stage of reconstruction project on the way. About the earthquake reconstruction thing, I will try to write in separate later on, because so many issues and problems that everybody should know.

Family and friends
I went home to visit my family and I will stay with them after the orientation is finish. It was a ‘mix’ feeling to see them again. I am so happy to see them and I think they do too. My sister lending me a motorbike and it is helpful for getting around in Yogyakarta. It is nice to meet my two nieces whom I never met before. One of them is 1,5 years old and the other is 9 months yeas old. Other nieces and nephews are growing up now. One of them will graduate from Nurse Academy by the end of this month and two of them will get to university this month. I love them; they are so wonderful nieces and nephews, and my sisters and brothers too. My mother is like usual, humble motherhood and she is happy to see me as well; and of course I am happy to see her too.
Last night (Friday night); I went out with Endang Budiarti and Prapti, friends from CCI and they are like my own sister. Greg was coming along as well. We went to ‘traditional’ javanesse food restaurant. It is great place and good food too. We had great conversation regarding the earthquake relief effort according to Bethesda Hospital (did I mention that Endang is a vice president of this hospital, and Prapti is an executive secretary?). Endang brought her laptop and we saw bunch of pictures from earthquake emergency respond in the hospital. It is ‘crazy’ situation in that time – at least what my opinion is – from the pictures that we have seen.
Other than that, we were talked about how ‘crazy’ the map of local, national and off course international ngo in Yogyakarta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home