Monday, August 21, 2006

report and reflection

Dear friends
Time goes so fast and I feel that I have done nothing...But might be not though, since I have a lot of surprises moment and memory that came up lately.August 24, 2006 today and it is beautiful and hot day (always – just to remember that I am in a tropical country) here in Yogyakarta. I just came back from Lingkar secretariat. I did give a funds ($600xRp.7580 = Rp. 4548.000). Ninil, she is the coordinator for Lingkar Network told me thanks so much for all your help. They will use this fund for continuing their programs in Bantul area. They will continuously working mostly with women and children. Lingkar Network has 9 members of organizations; and they work in three villages in Bantul regency.
Other than that, the second round of our fundraising effort that I send to Bethesda hospital; Endang and Prapti said that they received it and they thanks to you all as well.
Some reflection
Couple of months already the earthquake was happened. The waves of Emergency relief and reconstruction effort are ‘hit’ the area. I just watch a news there is a protest from group of people who are the victims of the devastation; they were protested that the distribution of the ‘help’ are not fairly distributed all the area. They went to the governor’s office (who is the Sultan as well) and the Sultan accept them in a ‘pendopo’ – is a traditional Javanese meeting/ gathering place.
The vice president said before (in the first month after the earthquake) that government of Indonesia will give a funds to the victims 30, 20, 10 million per household to the people whose house are absolutely damaged, part damaged and small part of damaged. BUT this ‘political’ statement isn’t come true and in the last decision, each household will get 4 million in the first stage; and they said it will be three stages (within total 12 million per household).
Last night I went to one of (or I think the only one, real vegetarian warungs with mostly mixed menu between traditional Javanese and western style of food). I saw an old friend who was an activist – and in my opinion he has a good idealistic lifestyle- and he told me that since the ‘gempa’ (earthquake) the map of ngo, institution, and network are so confusing. Everybody try to find a ‘helping’ project. So many international organizations, national and local organization are ‘flying’ to the area of devastation with the name of ‘helping project’. The big question that we have is how sustainable the program that they have? I do not mean to be critical about this situation, but the reality said so many organizations and so much money that involved in this situation.
All these stories are make me thinking about what we did and even though small – or some people might said it is really little tiny- effort of helping, but we try our best through minimizing administrative cost. I think our effort of helping is come from a basic need of a human being to help each other without border of regulations, nations, and beaurocracy things.
What next?
I will be going to Flores on this coming Monday (August 28) and like I said I might still be able to help to distribute the funds, I might not too; it depends on the bank situation in Flores. I told friend of mine in Bali (Budi) who has a friend who might still have some funds and I try to connect them (Budi’s friend and Lingkar). In my last e-mail, I did attach the receipt from Lingkar and there is a contact name and their bank address as well. Thanks also to Lynda Paterson who might still continuously do a fundraising in her area of friends and networks. She has such a great idea of fundraising and she might connect to Lingkar directly or through me is fine too. Hopefully this effort will continues and I only hope that the seeds that we put in the soil of honesty will grow and gat a good fruits afterward. I will leave you with some of pictures from the village, these personal collection and lingkar network. You can take a look at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/murdawa/album?.dir=c0e7scd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home